The castle was built in the years 1679-1685 by Count Václav Vojtěch from Šternberk as his summer residence. He lived here with his wife Klara and his daughter. The authors of the project were Giovanni Domenico Orsia later Jean-Baptiste Mathey, the builder was Silvestro Carlone. In 1685 an adjacent garden was established and in 1697 a terrace and farm buildings were built around the castle. In 1763 he bought a chateau for the Institute of Breeders Maria Theresa.